Monday, June 18, 2012

Moving Forward Tricycle Box

I hope you enjoyed the Stampin' Addicts New Catalog Blog Hop as much as I did.  I swore I wasn't going to buy any more new stamp sets from this catalog for awhile, but darn if I'm not tempted by some of the featured sets that I don't own.  If you missed the hop, it's not too late.  All the posts are deep linked together and will continue to be available for the foreseeable future.  You can start here.

I promised to share with you some of the details from my projects this week.  I thought I would start with the Tricycle box since it is the project with the most details to share.  I was never really thrilled with the picture I took of it last week but I ran out of time to tweak it any more.  Maybe this one is better:

Colors: Basic Black, Real Red, Whisper White, Basic Gray and Wild Wasabi.  Stamps: Moving Forward.  Big Shot: Oval Accent Clear Bigz and Bitty Banner Framelits.  Punch: Corner Rounder.  Accessories: Mini Brads, Basic Black 1/8"Taffeta Ribbon, and Markers.
From that picture, you can't see the end of the banner so here is a close up of the topper:

For the main image, I used my markers to color on the stamp to get this different colors.  The flowers that I added to the basket are one of the four smaller images included in this set.  To make the banner with the words, I used the largest of the Bitty Banner Framelits and cut off one end.

For the box, I knew I wanted it to be wide enough to use the new Oval Accent Die for the topper.  It is approximately 4-1/8" wide so my box needed to be at least 4" wide. I started with a  piece of 12"x7" card stock and placed it on my Simply Scored with the short side at the top and scored it at 1-34". Then I turned the box and scored it at 1-3/4", 5-3/4", 7-1/2" and 11-1/2".  To make it easier for the box to close, I also ran a score line about 2/3 of the length of the box at 7/8" and and 6-5/8" (the middle of  the 1-3/4" sections.)  You can see those score lines when you turn the box to the side:

Fold along all the score lines and clip out the extra piece 1/2"x1-3/4" piece on the bottom end.  Place adhesive on the 1/2" tab piece and the bottom pieces and assemble (just like a 2, 4, 7, 10 box).  For the topper, I scored the die cut in the center and then adhered it to the back of the box.  I used the super thin neodymiom magnets to close it on the front.  Then I added the ribbon and image and voila!

These kind of boxes are very simple to customize.  The trick is to have your bottom the same width as the sides of your box. And the Simply Scored board makes it that much easier since it has the score lines every 1/8".

On Wednesday, I'll share the details of the Sailboat card from the hop, so come back then.

4 comments:

Yapha said...

Such a cute box!! I love that new die as the topper. Definitely have to make one of these!

Mickey Roberts said...

Love this box, Paula! I like the added score line to make the crimp on the sides a little easier. And the topper with the new die cut is fabulous.

Tanya Boser said...

Darling box! You have made me decide that this set needs to be on my next order! Thanks for the directions for the box :)

Carmen said...

Loved this ... makes me want to get that set now!